Tuesday, August 12, 2008

BooBooFunnyFaceCookBook


From Yahoo News:



No, I don't want to be your social-networking friend

By John LengerFri Jul 18, 4:00 AM ET

Dear Friend (if I may still call you that),

Recently I received an email inviting me to be your friend on LinkedIn, Facebook, MySpace, Bebo, Friendster, or some other professional- or social-networking website.

I receive many such emails, which I pretend I don't get. But LinkedFaceTickleFreakSpaceFriend, or whatever you call the website, keeps sending messages claiming to be you, so I feel compelled to respond.

I'm sure you mean well, and I'm flattered. But I'm not sure you've thought this through. At the risk of sounding unfriendly, this is why I can't be your friend:

1) Your friends may not be my friends. Your friends may be hyper-aggressive salespeople, spammers, stalkers, random jerks, or just plain nuts. Not that I think your contacts are, but how do you weed out the weirdos online? As you know, I work at a well-respected university with an impressive name. It doesn't hurt my feelings that my work affiliation is probably why you want to link to me, as opposed to my killer rendition of "Hunka Hunka Burning Love." My email and voice mail already overflow with demands from would-be friends that I buy their whirligig, hire their nephew, or find a spot for their child in the next freshman class – mostly from people I've never met. If I joined you on BooBooFunnyFaceCookBook, or whatever you call it, I would never have another moment's peace.



Read the rest here.

No comments: