Friday, February 16, 2007

Autism News


From Science Daily:



Autism May Be More Prevelant Than Previous Estimates

February 8, 2007

Science Daily — The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported findings today from the first and largest summary of prevalence data from multiple U.S. communities participating in an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) surveillance project. The results showed an average of 6.7 children out of 1,000 had an ASD in the six communities assessed in 2000, and an average of 6.6 children out of 1,000 having an ASD in the 14 communities included in the 2002 study. All children in the studies were eight years old because previous research has shown that most children with an ASD have been identified by this age for services.

For decades, the best estimate for the prevalence of autism was four to five per 10,000 children. More recent studies from multiple countries using current diagnostic criteria conducted with different methods have indicated that there is a range of ASD prevalence between 1 in 500 children and 1 in 166 children. The CDC studies provide information on the occurrence of ASDs in fourteen communities in the United States.



Read the rest here.

2 comments:

mcewen said...

I believe it's 1 in every 100 in both New Jersey and the UK!
By the way, is that your cartoon, by which I mean your own work? Just curious.
Best wishes

Muzzy said...

I must say, I don't know what to believe anymore. I am inclined to think that the incidence has not been going up, but that the dianostic measures are more precise, and I suspect alot of kids who've been diagnosed ADD or even Schizophrenic in the past were, in fact, high functioning Autistic. As for me: both my daughters are High Functioning Autistic (probably Asperger's), so we're at 100% in my house. And as for the cartoon, I assume you mean the Day By Day one, and no, that's not mine, it's syndicated for free by kind permission of the author. Thanks for the comment(s).