Thursday, August 17, 2006

This And That


Crime One:

There was finally an arrest in the Jon Benet Ramsey murder case this past week, and I hope the cops got the right person, though it sounds like it's possible they do not.

From Wikipedia:



On August 16, 2006, the case returned to the news with the arrest of an American schoolteacher in Bangkok, Thailand. The suspect was identified as 41-year-old John Mark Karr, who has claimed to have drugged, sexually assaulted, and accidentally killed JonBenét Ramsey. However, no drugs or evidence of sexual assault were found during the autopsy of JonBenét, and Mr.Karr's ex-wife has stated that they were vacationing in Alabama at the time of the murder. As a result, the validity of the confession has been called into question. He is to be extradited to the US and charged with 1st degree murder.



I must say that for the past decade I've thought the dad was guilty, but I may well have been wrong on this one. I hope so.

+++++

Crime Two:

In an unrelated but equally gruesome matter Alfonso Rodriguez's trial for the killing of Dru Sjodin has been all over the papers and TV this past few days. I fully realize that Rodriguez has not yet been convicted, but it looks grim for him. I'm not generally in favor of the death-penalty but I dunno, I might be persuaded on this one, if he is convicted of this heinous matter.

+++++


I almost never go to the cinema to watch movies, but I actually took in two of them on DVD the other night, as opposite as two films can be, both directed by women: 'Bride And Prejudice' and 'Movern Callar.'

'Bride' stars the lovely and talented Aishwarya Rai, and the handsome but less-than-stellar Martin Henderson. The story is lifted straight out of Austen, and the song-and-dance numbers are incredible, but having the story ping-pong forth and back across continents made the film feel less than honest. Aishwarya was wonderful as Lalita, but the direction was lacking, and left her at times stranded, out of water and out of sorts, as it were. Some parts lingered far too long, and others were rushed to the point of absurdity. I know the director was trying to give a western twist to classic Bollywood, but I'm not convinced she fully succeeded. If I were rating the film, I'd give it a seven, mostly because it's such a fun romp. It's certainly worth spending an evening watching, for the first musical number alone.

'Movern Callar' is a different kettle of fish altogether. Virtually lacking in anything resembling a linear story, it tells a riveting tale, nonetheless. The film showcases the incredible acting talents of Samantha Morton, who is less than a classic beauty, but still quite winsome, nonetheless. The movie has very much of an Art House feel to it, with wonderful cinematography and thick Scottish brogues, to confound the American ear. Rating? I'd give it a nine for fine acting, and great filming.

+++++


TV:

My Summer TV Guilty Pleasures:

'Rockstar Supernova': I keep wanting to not like this, but the band members are quite watchable, and the performances are grand. It's a great show, and I'm hoping Magni gets the job.

'Windfall': I've been hooked from the first episode, but it's got more twists and turns than the Pacific Coast Highway. It's corny and melodramatic, but it makes for great TV. I'll watch till the eye drops run out.

'America's Got Talent': With Regis Philbin at the helm, and David Hasslehoff as a judge, how can you go wrong? Utterly corny and stupid with a capital STU, AGT brought jugglers and tap-dancers into livingrooms across the land, making it safe to like the old-fashioned variety show again.

+++++


No comments: