Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Independence Day, With A Twist


From MSNBC/Newsweek Online:



Web-exclusive commentary

By Dan Sarluca
Special to Newsweek
Updated: 8:21 a.m. CT June 22, 2006

June 22, 2006 - When I tell people that my wife and I each have separate apartments yet are happily married, I usually get a strange look. I used to rush to explain that ours wasn’t some weird marriage of convenience cobbled together for appearances, like certain celebrity couples are rumored to have done to advance their careers. Now I don’t bother. Our apartments are both in the same Brooklyn building, on the same floor, two doors down from one another, and we probably spend more time together than most spouses.

After Lauren and I had been together for a year, a unit became available in her building, and we talked about my renting it. We had both lived alone for so many years we were wary that full cohabitation might put too great a strain upon our relationship. Two nearby apartments seemed the perfect solution—not quite living together but something far more committed than weekend slumber parties at my place. We agreed that we would spend the bulk of our time together in my apartment and periodically retreat to our own flats for some privacy.



Read the rest here.

No comments: