Blogizdat (Don't Think About It): A Big Tin Can


Tuesday, April 19, 2005

A Big Tin Can


I'm not a big fan of much modern art, but while the girls and I were on a Walkabout Adventure last Sunday across the Washington Avenue Bridge, I decided it might be nice to duck into the Weisman Art Museum, on the U of M campus. The price was right: free.

The museum is housed in a building designed by Frank Gehry, best known for the Guggenheim structures in New York and Bilbao. I find the museum's exterior to be a revolting thing, looking for all the world like an experiment with a tin can gone somehow hideously wrong. I'm not the only who feels that way, but there are many who find it appealing. (I wonder about them.)

Still, on the inside, the museum is a rather warm and inviting place, and, if much of the displayed pieces are ghastly examples of what is tragically wrong with the modern art world, there are many interesting pieces on display, as well. And, to my surprise, both the girls seemed to enjoy our short tour of the place, and AE pronounced the afternoon 'one of the best Adventures ever.'

Well. Who am I to argue with that?

4 Comments:

At 4/19/2005 05:51:00 PM, Blogger Stacy said...

It's like sushi, so few like it, but it's good to have around when you need something different.

 
At 4/19/2005 06:04:00 PM, Blogger Canadian Dude said...

I agree.. it is revolting.

 
At 4/19/2005 08:27:00 PM, Blogger Jezzy said...

Reminds me of Melbourne's Federation Square. I stare at it thinking "is there something that I'm not getting here?"

 
At 4/20/2005 08:35:00 AM, Blogger Sola-Man said...

"It Is A Loathsome Offensive Building, Yet I Can't Look Away".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


EMAIL: blogizdat-at-yahoo.com

Make a New Post

Online Reference
Dictionary, Encyclopedia & more
Word:
Look in: Dictionary & thesaurus
Computing Dictionary
Medical Dictionary
Legal Dictionary
Financial Dictionary
Acronyms
Idioms
Wikipedia Encyclopedia
Columbia Encyclopedia
by: